Mary Christmas’ Top Nine Art Revolutions and Revelations of the year 2011
1. Occupy Wall Street takes over the world, class war begins
2. Art Strike! The Occupy movement inspires the creation of arts & labor working groups that begin to discuss and dismantle the economic structures of the art world that benefit the superrich while leaving artists struggling to pay rent:
3. W.A.G.E. (Working Artists in the Greater Economy) begins official certification process to ensure that New York arts institutions pay fees to artists when exhibiting their work
4. Pepper-Spray Cop takes over the visual landscape, then enters art history.
5. Solidarity with locked-out Sotheby’s art handlers union!
6. Alicia McDaid: The Pleasure Principal. The best and most hilarious art exhibit in Portland in 2011. McDaid inhabits all of the therapists she’s ever had in an epic battle between self-help and self-destruction
7. An Open Letter from a Dancer Who Refused to Participate in Marina Abramovic’s MOCA Performance
8. An Open Letter to Labor Servicing the Culture Industry
9. Super hot, super out lesbian actresses take over Hollywood
11 hours ago